French Onion Pork Chops
Our Halenda’s Smoked Pork Chops are so versatile. They can be cooked in an oven, pan, BBQ, or Air fryer. You can bread them, fry them, season them to perfection, or in this case, add some delicious caramelized onions and cheese to make the most savoury pork chops!
The best part is that these are partially cooked, which means in most cases cook in under 10 minutes!
Big thanks to Paula from @queenofthegrill for creating this amazing recipe! She is so talented and also comes up with unique and delicious ways to cook your favourite meats.
Our Smoked Pork Chops or “Kessler” are Award-winning centre-cut pork loin chops that have been smoked for a wonderful flavour. Our Pork is naturally lean meat, and the brining process both infuses the meat with flavour and helps prevent the pork from drying out.
When preparing your pork chops, our first focus is making sure we get the most delicious caramelized onions. The key here is not to overcook or burn your onions. Butter, flour and beef broth are going to be your sidekicks when making the onions. Cook everything on medium heat to ensure you don’t burn any of the ingredients.
When you are ready to BBQ your smoked pork chops, you will need mustard and your favourite seasoning rub, that’s it! Feel free to use any rub you like, or create your own.
When you are grilling your pork chops, keep in mind not to overcook them. Make sure your chops reach an internal temperature of 145-160 F, this way you get the juiciest pork chops.
Last but not least, the cheese! We used havarti cheese slices because it’s creamy and sweet and compliments the smoked pork chops perfectly. The goal here is to just melt the cheese and put together your french onion pork chops. While your BBQ is still hot, put your pork chops in a cast iron skillet, top with caramelized onions, cheese and some more onions, and cook until the cheese has melted!
and you’re done! Garnish with parsley and serve on a sandwich, or with your favourite sides!
Did you know our Smoked Pork Chops, Halenda’s Charcuterie, and Halenda’s 1970 products are available at select Metro, Sobeys, Foodland, Food Basics and Fortinos locations and, of course, you can find all products at our Halenda’ Meats location and select independent stores!
French Onion Smoked Pork Chops
- 1 Pkg Halenda’s Smoked Pork Chops
- 1.5 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2 Medium onions, sliced into rings
- 1 Tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 Tsp Dried thyme
- 1 Tsp Flour
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
- Your favourite pork seasoning
- Havarti cheese slices
- Melt the butter in a skillet on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and thyme and cook for 15 minutes until golden brown and caramelized, stirring regularly. Turn the heat down to low and add flour, mix. Add beef broth and mix until incorporated. Season with salt, and pepper.
- Slather both sides of the pork with a thin layer of mustard and seasoning liberally with the rub.
- Preheat your grill to 350 F.
- Grill the pork chop for about 15 minutes or until an internal temperature of 145-160 F, depending on your desired doneness.
- Remove the pork chop from the grill and place it on a cast iron skillet. Top with onions, a slice of cheese, and more onions. Place back on the grill for 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Garnish with parsley.